Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sausage and Spinach Soup

For dinner I made a favorite staple of mine...Sausage and Spinach Soup.  It's super easy and quick!  Start with browning some ground sausage (We love Spicy Italian in ours, and yes, as you can tell by the bright orange sticker, I try to always by our meat on discount...frugal me :) ).  Throw in some onion to saute with the sausage.  Sprinkle a little Oregano.  Once the sauasage is browned and the onions soft add a carrot (diced or sliced) , a can of beans (white is my fav, but Hominy works fantastic as a replacemnt for beans), chopped spinach (fresh or frozen is fine) and enough chicken broth or soup stock to make as many servings as you want.  I use 6 cups of water with 6 tsp. of soup base for a family of 6.  It leaves me 1 or 2 servings leftover for me to have for lunch.  You can add just about anything else you want...potatoes are great in this as well.  Just cook over med. heat until carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes.  If by chance you can't serve it right away, it can sit on low and simmer for quite awhile and be just fine. Season with salt and pepper and Viola!  Serve with fresh Baguettes...YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment